HOME
Listen and Talk
Read and Explore
Write and Produce
Culture Salon
Related Links
Glossary
Course 1 > Unit 5> Passage A > Notes to the Text
                  | TextRelated InformationNotes to the TextWords & ExpressionsTranslationExercises
Passage A
Notes to the Text
 

1. My first personal experience with this person came one day while my mother was out.
     My first experience to talk to this person occurred one day when my mother was not at home.
     初次与这个人邂逅是妈妈不在家的一天。


2. I walked around the house sucking my throbbing finger, finally arriving at the telephone!
     I walked around the house sucking my very painful finger, and eventually arrived at the telephone.
     我在屋里走来走去,不住地吮着阵阵作痛的手指,最后走到了电话机旁!

suck: draw(liquid) into the mouth by using the tongue, lips, and muscles at the side of the mouth, with the lips tightened into a small hole
     吸,吮

Examples:
     She was sucking milk through a straw.
     她用吸管吸牛奶。
     The baby was sucking his thumb.
     这个婴儿正在吮手指。


3.Quickly, I unhooked the receiver and held it to my ear.
     I hastily removed the earpiece from the phone and began to listen.
     我飞快摘下了听筒,贴在耳朵上。

unhook: take down, unfasten
     摘下;取下

Examples:
     The policeman unhooked the collar of a uniform.
     警察解开制服领扣。
     The receiver was too high for the little boy to unhook.
     话筒太高了,小孩没法拿到。


4. The tears came readily enough, now that I had an audience.
     The tears came faster now because someone was listening to me.
     因为有个人听我倾诉,泪水一下子就涌了出来。


5. She tried to soothe me.
     She tried to comfort me.
     她试图安慰我。

soothe: comfort
     抚尉,安慰

Examples:
     The babysitter tried her best to soothe the crying baby.
     保姆尽力哄在哭的婴儿。
     Nothing could soothe his anger.
     什么也无法平息她的怒气。


6.console: give comfort or sympathy to (someone) in terms of disappointment or sadness
     安慰,使…平息

Examples:
     We don't know what to say to console her for the loss.
     对于她的损失,我们不知该说什么才能安慰她。
     He had to console himself with the thought that it might have been worse.
     他只好想事情可能会更糟糕,并以此来安慰自己。


7.She must have sensed my deep concern...
     She must have been aware of my strong feelings...
     她一定体会到了我深深的痛楚

sense: have a feeling that something exists or is there, without having direct proof
     体会

Examples:
     I could sense his growing irritation, so I got up and left.
     我体会到他越来越恼火,所以就起身走了。
     I could sense how unhappy she was feeling.
     我能体会到她觉得自己很不幸。


8.I had about half an hour or so between planes.
     It was about 30 minutes until my next plane would depart.
     我有半小时左右的换机时间。

9.heal: v (of a wounded part of the body) to become healthy again, esp. to grow new skin
     (伤口)长好,愈合

Examples:
     This medicine will help heal the wound.
     这种药有助于治愈伤口。
     The cut in her hand has healed completely, without leaving a scar.
     她手上的刀伤完全愈合了,没有留下一点伤痕。


10. I wonder if you have any idea how much you meant to me during that time.
     I'm not sure you're aware of how important our relationship was to me at that time.
     你知道那时候你对我有多重要吗?


11. hang up:
     finish a telephone conversation by putting the receiver back
     挂断电话

Examples:

     Before I could answer him, he hung up.
     我还没来得及回答,他就挂了电话。
     Time is up. I have to hang up the receiver now.
     时间到了,我现在不得不挂机了。


12. There are other worlds to sing in.
     She expected to go to Heaven.
     另外的世界也可以唱歌。

 

 


 

 
©Experiencing English(2nd Edition)2007