HOME
Listen and Talk
Read and Explore
Write and Produce
Culture Salon
Related Links
Glossary
Course 1 > Unit 4 > Passage B > Notes to the Text
                  | TextRelated InformationNotes to the TextWords & ExpressionsTranslationExercises
Passage B
Notes to the Text
 
1. I was having trouble getting along with my parents:
     I was having difficulty getting along with my parents.
     那时我与父母相处不是很融洽。

to have trouble: to have difficulty. It can be followed either by "doing sth." or "in doing sth." 
     有问题

Examples:
     Did you have much trouble dealing with the problem?
     处理这个问题棘手吗?
     Do they have any trouble in finding their lost daughter?
     寻找他们丢失的女儿有麻烦没有?


2. It took me only three weeks away from home when I started to feel homesick.
    
I began to miss my parents only three weeks after I began living on my own.
     刚离开家三个星期,我便开始想家了。

Examples:
     It will take him another 5 months to finish writing this book.
     他还要花5个月时间才能写完这本书。
      It took them 3 months to study in the ESL class before they began to study in regular classes.
     他们在ESL班上了3个月的课才开始在正规班级学习。


3. creative: adj. having the ability to produce new and original ideas, results, etc. 有创造性的,创造的

Examples:

     He came up with a really creative solution to the problem.
     他找到一个真正具有创造性的解决问题方案。
      I enjoy my job, but I'd like to do something more creative.
     我喜欢这个工作,但我想做更具创造力的工作。


4. First of all, I have learned that living on my own requires that I become more responsible:
     Firstly, I have learned that living on my own requires that I (should) become more responsible.
     首先,我明白了独立生活更需要责任感。

     The subjunctive mood is used to express suggestion, necessity, demand, request, urging, resolution, recommendation or formal motion by using the words like: advise, command, decide, demand, desire, insist, intend, order, propose, recommend, request, require, suggest or urge.

Examples:
     The teacher required that you finish the assignment by last Friday.
     老师要求你星期五之前完成作业。
      They required that he accompany them on the trip.
     他们要求他陪他们旅行。


5. assign: to give someone a particular job or make them responsible for a particular person or thing
     指定(某人做某一工作或任某职务),委派,选派

Examples:
     I've been assigned the job of looking after the new students.
     他们分配我照看新生。
      Jane's been assigned to the Asian Affairs Bureau.
     珍妮被派往了亚洲事务局。


6. However, now that I am on my own, I get to deal with my duties without being told to:
     Now I am living on my own, so I get to handle my duties without being told to.
     但是现在我独自生活了,我必须完成自己的职责,即使没有人要求我这么做。

Examples:
     Now that you are a college student, you'd better live on your own.
     你是大学生了,你最好要自己独立生活。
      Now that you have finished the final examination, you may relax and take a break.
     期末考试完了,你可以休息一会儿了。


7. to do one's duty: to do sth. either because that is part of one's job or because it is morally right that one should do

Examples:
     In the absence of the chairman one of his assistants does his duty for him.
     主任不在时他的助手料理他的事务。
     There are bookcases that do duty as room dividers.
     书架把房间隔开了。


8. I wrote a lot of songs and kept them in my notebook for any singer out there who might be interested:
     I wrote a lot of songs and kept them in a notebook for any other singer anywhere who might be interested. (Note: "out there" suggests a willingness to share the songs.)
     我写了许多歌曲,并把它们保存在我的笔记本里,等着送给感兴趣的歌手。


9. When I was with my parents I found it hard for me to be creative simply because I always followed their ideas.
     When I was living with my parents I found I was not creative because I was always ready to do what they told me to do.
     然而,当我和父母在一起的时候,我觉得自己之所以很难有创造力,就是因为我老是跟着他们的想法跑。


10. In addition, I think that it is appropriate for everyone in this world to love their parents and themselves before they love anyone else:
     Besides, I feel it is correct for everyone in this world to love their parents and themselves first and then love everyone else.
     另外,我认为对世上所有的人来说,应先爱他们的父母,爱他们自己,然后才去爱别人。

in addition
: used when adding another fact to what has already been mentioned. 
     此除…之外,加之

Examples:
     The hotel itself can accommodate 80 guests and, in addition, there are several self-catering apartments.
     饭店本身可容纳80个客人,此外,还有几个套间客人可自己做饭。
      Aunt Mary gave us sandwiches for our picnic and a bag of cookies in addition.
     我们去野炊,玛丽婶婶给了我们一些三明治还有一些饼干。

appropriate: adj. Correct or suitable. 正确的,合适的

Examples:
     At an appropriate moment I'll offer the visitors some coffee.
     我会在恰当的时候给来宾提供咖啡。
     Your clothes are hardly appropriate for a job interview.
     工作面试穿这套衣服一点都不合适。


11. at the same time
     1) in the same moment 同时,一起

Example:
     The two runners reached the finish line at the same time.
     这两位选手同时抵达终点。

     2) in spite of the fact; even though 不顾,虽然,然而

Example:
     John did pass the test, at the same time,he did not know the subject very well.
     约翰确实通过了考试,虽然他对这科目了解不深。


12. make use of: use or benefit from sth. or sb. 使用,利用

Examples:
     Almost every student today can make use of a computer.
     现在几乎每个学生都可以利用计算机。
     The teacher told them that they had to make good use of their time.
     老师对他们说他们得好好地利用时间。




 

 
©Experiencing English(2nd Edition)2007