HOME
Listen and Talk
Read and Explore
Write and Produce
Culture Salon
Related Links
Glossary
Course 1 > Unit 1 > Passage B > Notes to the Text
                  | TextRelated InformationNotes to the TextWords & ExpressionsTranslationExercises
Passage B
Notes to the Text
 
1. In less than two weeks, I'll have graduated:
     I'll have graduated within two weeks.
    不到两周,我就要毕业了。
    This is an example of the use of the future perfect tense. The future perfect tense tells us something that will be past at or before a certain time in the future.

Examples:
     By this time next week, you'll have taken your examination.
    到下周这个时候,你就考完了。
    I hope that everything I have told you will not have been forgotten by the next lesson.
    我希望到下次上课时你们还记得我给你们讲了些什么。


2. look back:
    
to review the past; think of what has happened 回顾

Examples:
     Looking back on the past, I can now see that I wasted so much of my precious time. 
    回顾过去,我现在才意识到我已浪费了这么多宝贵的时间。
    He looks back at the four years of his college days with satisfaction.
    回顾四年大学生活他感到很惬意。


3.Every day I wish I could freeze time and make the next two weeks go more slowly.
    每天我都祈愿时间会凝滞,接下来的两周过得更慢一些。
    "wish" is followed by a subjunctive clause here.

Examples:
     I wish it were cooler. (It is not cool. It is hot.)
    我希望更凉一些。
     I wish you had come to the cinema with us last night. ( You didn't.)
    你昨晚要和我们一起看电影该多好。


4. ... and through many triumphs and failures I came to know more about myself:
     I had experienced many successes and many failures. It was through these successes and failures that I got to know     myself better.
    历经多次的成功与失败使我对自己有了更多的了解。

come to: (used with an infinitive ) to learn to, to grow to
    熟知,了解,学会,开始

Examples:
     He had come to like the city better after living there for three years.
    住了三年后,他更加喜欢那座城市了。
    I have come to realize how important it is to learn to use a computer.
    我逐渐意识到学会用电脑是多么重要。


5.involve:
    
to have as a part or result
    涉及,牵涉

Examples:
     Taking the job would involve living abroad.
    做这项工作就得住在国外。
    Listening to radio programs is a good pastime, because it involves the listener's imagination.
    听广播节目是一种很好的消遣,因为它可以激发听众的想像力。


6.As I walk down the familiar routes on campus, I find myself doing a lot of soul-searching and reminiscing.
     As I walk on the familiar campus road, I find myself thinking about the passed days I spent at the college.
     走在校园熟悉的路上,不知不觉中就陷入了深深的反思和对往昔的回忆中

soul-searching:
    a deep examination of one's mind and conscience 反思

Example:
     After many hours of soul-searching, he decided to admit his guilt.
    反思了好多小时后,他决定承认自己的罪行。

reminisce: to talk or think about past experiences, esp. pleasant ones 回忆

Example:
     The two friends were reminiscing about their youth.
    两位朋友在一起回忆起他们的青年时代。

find oneself: discover 发现

Example:
     He finds himself not understanding why everybody was laughing.
    他不明白为什么人人都在笑。

7.recapture:
     to capture again; to get into one's power again,cause to be experienced again
     重新获得;再现,使再次经历、体验或产生(往日的情感等)

Examples:
     The police recaptured the escaped prisoner. 
     警察再次抓获了那个逃犯。
     During the party with some young people, the parents found themselves recapturing the joys of their youth.
     和青年人开晚会,父母重温了他们年轻时的欢乐。


8.I have been panicking at the idea of graduating:
     When thinking about my coming graduation, I can't help feeling quite uneasy.
     一想到毕业心里就一阵阵恐慌。

at the idea of: at the thought of 一想起…就

Examples:
    
Having never lived away from her parents, Jane began to panic at the idea of living on campus on her own.
     珍妮从没离开过父母,她一想到要独自住在校园就开始发慌。
     Smiles broadened my mother's face. She just couldn't help it at the idea of the family reunion.
     一想到全家人能欢聚一堂,母亲就笑逐颜开。


9.The world is enormous and the possibilities are endless:
    The world is so big and who knows what will happen (after graduation).
     世界如此之大,可能发生的事情太多太多。
     We can see from the sentence that the author is reluctant to leave school with which he is familiar and at which he feels safe.


10. I am getting a queasy feeling deep down every time I think about the fact that I'm going to be graduating:
    I am getting an uneasy feeling whenever I think about the fact that I'm about to graduate.
     每每想到就要毕业,我就打心眼儿里感到不安。

"Every time" is used here to introduce an adverbial clause of time. Apart from "every time" noun phrases like "the moment", "next time" etc. can also be used to introduce adverbial clauses of time.

Examples:
     Every time I catch a cold, I have a pain in my back.
    每次一受凉,我就背痛。
    Stormy applause broke forth the moment the pop star appeared on the stage.
    流行歌星一上台,就爆发出一阵雷鸣般的掌声。

feel like: (informal) to have a wish for; want.
    想要

Examples:
     Do you feel like a cup of coffee? 
    你想要一杯咖啡吗?
    It is such a fine day. I feel like going out for a picnic.
    天气这么好,我真想出去野餐。

c.f. feel: to give or produce the stated sensation
    好像

Examples:
     "What is this in my pocket? It feels like a nut."
    "我口袋里是什么?好像是栗子。"

    The following two sentences from the passage also belong to this category.

Examples:
    I feel like there is so much more that I want to learn, but instead I have to graduate.
    我觉得还有很多东西想学,可是却不得不毕业了。   
    I feel like I am living in denial about graduating.
     我觉得自己是在回避毕业。


11. It's too difficult to even contemplate the idea that soon I will be waking up in the mornings and not have a class to which I should be going.
     It is so difficult for me to understand that soon I will be waking up in the mornings and find there is no class for me to go to.
    甚至不敢想像早上醒来没有课上会是什么样的情形。

contemplate: to think (about) deeply and thoughtfully
    深思

Examples:
     The doctor contemplated the difficult operation he had to perform.
    医生反复思忖那个难做的手术。


12. ... the idea of a lifetime commitment to a certain job seems like torture.
    一辈子就干一行的想法简直就是一种折磨。

commitment: a responsibility or promise to follow certain beliefs or a certain course of action
    责任

Examples:
     Come and look round our shop without a commitment to buy anything.
    请来我们商店看看,不一定要买什么东西。
    I don't want to get married because I don't want any commitments.
    因为不愿承担任何责任,所以我不想结婚。


13. cherish:
    to care for tenderly; love; to keep a feeling deeply and firmly in mind
    珍惜,珍爱

Examples:
     The old man cherished the girl as if she were his daughter.
    老人十分疼爱这个女孩,好像她是自己的亲闺女。
    The child has been away for more than three years and his parents always cherish the hope that he will come back soon.
    虽然孩子离家已三年多了,父母亲总是抱着他会很快回来的希望。


 

 
©Experiencing English(2nd Edition)2007