HOME
Listen and Talk
Read and Explore
Write and Produce
Culture Salon
Related Links
Glossary
Course 1 > Unit 4> Passage A > Notes to the Text
                  | TextRelated InformationNotes to the TextWords & ExpressionsTranslationExercises
Passage A
Notes to the Text
 

1. I decided early in my college years that I wanted to experience living abroad before entering the "real world."
    
Shortly after I entered college I made the decision that I should not find a job after graduation. I would first go and live in a foreign country for a while.
     进大学不久我就下定决心,在进入"现实世界"前先到国外呆一段。

experience - v. to suffer, feel, or know 经历
        n. knowledge or skill which comes from practice rather than from books, or the gaining of it.经验

Examples:
     I experienced my first British holiday.
     我经历了我的第一个英国假日。
     You have the chance to gain valuable work experience.
     你有机会得到宝贵的工作经历。

     ... before entering the "real world": This is a prepositional phrase of time. The same idea may be expressed by using an adverbial clause "...before I entered the real world."

Examples:
     We are supposed to work out an outline before writing our compositions. (...before we write our compositions.)
     在写作文之前,我们应该先写一个提纲。
     They were so confident before having the exam (...before they had the exam), but after it they realized that there was still much for them to learn.
     考试之前,他们信心十足,但考完之后,他们意识到要学的东西还很多。


2. During my senior year, while most of my friends were interviewing for "real world" jobs, I was investigating how I could go work in a different country.
     During the last year of my 4 years at college, most of my classmates were looking for jobs and having interviews while I was asking for information about how I could go and work in a foreign country.
     四年级的时候,我的大多数同学都在忙着为"现实世界"的工作面试,我却在研究怎么才能去另外一个国家工作。


3. At the early stage of my inquiry I was pretty open about where to go and what kind of work to undertake.
     When I first asked about the possibility of experiencing living abroad, I didn't have a specific idea as to where to go and what kind of work to take while facing several options. 
     刚开始打听的时候,我对去哪儿,干什么,都很随便。

open: not completely decided

Examples:
     Let's leave it open.
     我们暂不作决定。
     Try to keep an open mind on the subject until you have heard all the fact.
     在你了解到所有的事实之前,不要先存偏见。

undertake: to take up or accept ( a duty or piece of work, esp. one that is difficult or needs effort.) 承担

Examples:
     She undertook the responsibility for the changes.
     对此变化她承担责任。
     The lawyer undertook the case without a fee.
     律师免费承办这一案件。


4. learn about: get to know about, become informed of 了解,得知

Examples:

     I like reading historical stories because I learn about the lives that people led long ago.
     我喜欢阅读历史故事,因为可以了解到早期人们的生活情况。
     How did you learn about our product?
     你是怎么知道我们产品的?


5. It wasn't until my third day that I visited the BUNAC office and went through orientation.
     On the third day I visited the BNUAC office and had a formal process of learning about the new situation
     直到第三天,我才去了"北美学生英国大学俱乐部"的办事处,熟悉了一下情况

"It is / was not... until..." is an emphatic pattern.

Examples:
     It wasn't until 10 o'clock that he came back to his dorm. (At 10 o'clock he finally came back.)
     直到10点钟,他才回到宿舍。
     It wasn't until 10 years later that they found their lost son. (10 years later they finally found their lost son.)
     直到10年后,他们才找到了他们丢失的儿子。

orientation: an introduction, as a tour, that helps one to adjust to new surroundings or introductory instruction concerning a new situation

Examples:

     The university required that all new students arrive early for a ten-minute orientation to the library facilities.
     学校要求所有的新生提前到达,花10分钟熟悉图书馆的设施。
     In many companies the orientation of new employees is the duty of the training office.
     在许多公司里,培训新职员是培训处的职责。

6. I was most scared about finding a job since my financial resources were running low and I needed to get a paycheck soon.
    
I was not sure and thus worried if I can find a job but I needed a job badly because I had very little money left and no easy way to get any.
     我最担心怎么找工作,因为我带的钱已所剩无几,得尽快弄一份薪水。

run low: not much left

Examples:

     The gasoline in the car's tank was running low.
     汽车油箱里的汽油不多了。
     I was very tired and my energy was running low.
     我累坏了,没劲了。


7. It turns out that... :
     In the end, it happens to be ...
     结果(是)

Examples:
     It turned out that the person seated next to me on the train was one of my old friends.             
     火车上坐在我旁边的那个人原来是我一个老朋友。
     It turned out that my new job was much easier than I expected.
     结果我的新工作比我想象的要简单得多。


8. participate in: be involved in
    
参与,参加

Examples:

     It's good for students to participate in a variety of activities.
     参加各种活动对学生有好处。
     Some people are too shy to participate in karaoke.
     有些人很腼腆,不好意思唱卡拉OK。


9. ... there are many employers in many different fields to choose from:
     many different types of jobs are available  
    
… 很多领域都有许多工作机会可供选择

choose from
:
     to pick out or select (sb. / sth. that one prefers or considers the best, most suitable, etc.) from a number of alternatives. 
     供挑选

Examples:

     Students have many different majors to choose from.
     有多种专业可供学生选择。
     Drivers have many different brands of cars to choose from.
     可供司机选择的汽车有多种品牌。


10. cover: to include (sth.); deal with; travel (a certain distance)
     包括,处理,走过(一段距离)

Examples:
     The class covered only half of what the teacher intended
     这堂课只完成了老师想干的工作的一半。
     Our trip covered only half of what the tour guide intended.
     我们这趟旅游只去了一半导游想去的地方。


11. Most of my coworkers were British so I feel like I really got to know and learn the British culture through such a huge aspect of a British person's daily life.
    Most of the people I worked with in Britain were British people, through working with them and knowing their daily life I seemed to have come to know British culture.
     我的大多数同事都是英国人,因此通过大量接触英国人的日常生活,我确实觉得自己学习了解了英国文化。


12. get to learn / know:
     become familiar with  
     得知,了解,熟悉

Examples:
     After you get to know him, you will find that he's really quite nice.
     你熟悉他以后,你就会发现他是个很不错的人。
     You'll get to know and like the city more after you're lived here for a while.
     在这住一段时间以后,你就会更了解并且更喜欢这个城市。


13. I would not hesitate for a second to recommend it to anyone:
     I'd readily and enthusiastically recommend it to anyone. 
     我毫不犹豫地把它推荐给大家。

Examples:

     I would not hesitate for a second to go back to London if I have another chance.
     如果还有机会,我会毫不犹豫再去伦敦。
     I would not hesitate for a second to send my best students to your college.
     我会毫不犹豫地把我最好的学生选送到你的学校。

 

 

 
©Experiencing English(2nd Edition)2007